- Wells Fargo to reduce workforce by up to 10% in ongoing transformation
- Barclays launches initiative to build thriving local economies
- EU banks’ funding plans indicate increased appetite for client deposits and market-based funding
- CMA launches review as PayPal completes acquisition of iZettle
- Fraud now more common than burglary, says UK Finance
- Avaloq upgrades open software architecture for banks and wealth managers
- Fintech Trade Association launches North American arm expired
- BNY Mellon Investment Management launches Japanese investment fund expired
- Two thirds of parents expect to spend over £17k to support their future student through university expired
- UK Treasury's 'proactive' approach to cryptocurrencies welcomed by deVere expired
- CaixaBank agrees the sale of its stake in Repsol after 22 years expired
- EBA calls “back-to-back” trading an indispensable “backbone” of global finance expired
10th July 2018
Bester appointed CEO at Co-operative Bank
The Co-operative Bank has announced the appointment of Andrew Bester as Chief Executive Officer. He joined the Bank and the Board yesterday and will begin the transition of
responsibilities from current CEO Liam Coleman, who, as previously announced, has decided to step down.
Bester is a banking leader with a track record in business turnaround and large scale transformation. A qualified
chartered accountant, whose career began with three years at PwC and subsequently three years at Deloitte, he joined Standard Chartered Bank in 2004, where he held senior leadership roles in wholesale banking in
Africa and Asia. In 2008 he took on the role of Chief Financial Officer for Standard Chartered’s Consumer
Banking division, and in 2011 he was appointed Chief Operating Officer for Consumer Banking.
In his most recent role as a Group Director and Chief Executive of the Commercial Banking division of Lloyds
Banking Group, he led the successful customer-focused turnaround and transformation of the commercial/wholesale banking business over five years from 2012.
Bester also led on inclusion and diversity for Lloyds Banking Group and has multiple awards for his work
including ‘Advocate of the Year’ at the 2017 Women in Finance Awards.
Commenting on the appointment, Bob Dench, Chairman of the Bank said “I am delighted that we are appointing Andrew as CEO. He is a first class business leader with the experience, drive and intellect required to lead the organisation forward at a key point in its turnaround journey. Five years ago, the Bank faced very significant problems and over that time we have made progress towards successfully tackling those issues. In Andrew, we have found the right person to take us on to the next stage as we focus on achieving a sustainable profitable bank.
Andrew’s understanding of the role business plays in the community and its potential to make a positive
difference, and his achievements in leading inclusion and diversity, also make him an ideal choice as CEO of
The Co-operative Bank. I look forward to working with him as we take forward our strategy.”
Bester added “I am excited to be asked to lead The Co-operative Bank at this important time. The Bank is a well- respected brand, with a long and rich history. It is much valued by its customers and colleagues, and continues to lead the way with its commitment to ethical, environmental and community matters. Over its recent history, the Bank has
been through a period of great change and uncertainty and I look forward to working with the teams to return the
business to its former strength.”