- Business confidence stabilises after three month decline-Lloyds
- Market Report-Hargreaves Lansdown
- FCA commits to reducing regulatory burden facing UK businesses in the face of recession
- Bank of England announces Gilt Market operation
- International Digital Remittances to surpass 2 billion transactions globally by 2027, as market leaders revealed
- Fintech Without Frontiers(FWF) joins with Ukrainian Finance Associations to create united front
- Galileo and Juniper Research reveal surge in B2B Embedded Finance demand expired
- HPS partners with Visa to fast-track access to the scheme’s payments network expired
- FinTech SaaS provider Toqio secures £17.2m Series A funding expired
- Key elements of the 2022 annual cyclical scenario stress test published by Bank of England expired
- UK Finance publishes Card Spending update for June 2022 expired
- Market Report-Hargreaves Lansdown expired
12th August 2022
Soft POS user base to grow 475% globally by 2027, as Apple’s entry catalyses the market
A new study from Juniper Research has found the total number of merchants deploying soft POS solutions will surpass 34.5 million globally by 2027; rising from 6 million in 2022. This growth will be driven by Apple’s entrance into the soft POS space; enabling iOS users to access an affordable mobile POS solution. Soft POS enables NFC enabled smartphones or tablets to accept contactless payments, without additional hardware.
The research forecasts that Apple’s decision to enable third parties to develop soft POS solutions leveraging iOS NFC capabilities will result in an influx of iOS-specific services; leading to innovative solutions for merchants. Furthermore, the research predicts Apple’s entry will provide 1.2 billion iOS users with soft POS capabilities; unlocking a previously untapped market.
Soft POS is the latest development from Apple within the payments space; building upon Apple Pay and Apple Pay Later. Soft POS vendors should leverage Apple’s payment ecosystem by developing innovative solutions such as integrated QR payment acceptance, using Apple Pay and Pay Later compatibility to attract a broader iOS user base.
The research anticipates soft POS adoption being driven by the increasing use of contactless payments–with volumes expected to rise from 195 billion in 2022 to 408 billion by 2027. Therefore, consumers will come to expect contactless acceptance as standard; forcing smaller merchants to adopt contactless-capable POS solutions. Merchants are anticipated to embrace soft POS, based on cost savings achievable from eliminating the need for additional hardware, as well as mobility advantages over contactless POS.
This will be profound for small-sum and mobile merchants that must accept contactless transactions, but lack the need for high-cost dedicated terminals. As such, the research recommends soft POS vendors must look to target micro and mobile merchants; designing solutions that meet their unique needs.
Juniper Trends(111 articles)
Apple Trends(7 articles)