- Newslink Global Insurance Trends-Editor's Weekly Highlights
- IAIS Global Insurance Market Report 2023 highlights key risks and trends facing the global insurance sector
- Debt-distressed countries more likely to turn to non-traditional bailout options, according to WTW’s political risk index
- Embracing Tomorrow: Majesco Research reveals the Top 10 Trends in 2024 shaping the Insurance Industry
- Swiss Re announces new IFRS targets, including a net income of more than $3.6bn for 2024 and a multi-year ROE of more than 14%
- Climate adaptation: AXA Climate contributes to the launch of a parametric insurance project across multiple cities in Togo
- Apollo writes first Smart Follow lines as it prepares to launch standalone class for 01/01 expired
- Polo Managing Agency partners with VIPR to offer Syndicates bordereaux management solution expired
- HDI Global shows strong revenue and earnings growth after nine months expired
- Underwriting and Claims IT-Insurance Newslink Global Trends-Editor's Quarterly Highlights expired
- Chancellor seeks pension reforms to save the UK’s economy expired
- Pensions survey: more than one-third of Europeans are not saving for retirement-Insurance Europe expired
1st October 2023
ABI signs Memorandum of Understanding with ABIR
The Association of Bermuda Insurers and Reinsurers(ABIR) and the Association of British Insurers(ABI) have agreed to work together on matters of mutual interest detailed in a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU).
The agreement will build on the working partnership that exists between the Bermuda and UK markets, two leading global re/insurance hubs. It promotes cooperation and the exchange of views and information on issues of high importance to the industry.
Bermuda’s leading property and casualty re/insurers represent 44% of capacity in the Lloyd’s market and provide 32% of reinsurance capacity for the UK Government-backed terrorism reinsurer, Pool Re.
ABIR member companies also employ more than 8,500 people in the UK, while Bermuda Monetary Authority data shows Bermuda re/insurers paid out $35.2bn in claims to UK customers between 2016 and 2020 alone.
The ABI is the public voice of the British insurance and long-term savings sector, and represents more than 200 member companies.
The MoU specifies six areas in which the two associations will exchange information to promote mutual understanding. These are:
-Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
-Wider insurance and reinsurance matters
-Domestic regulation of respective markets
The agreement allows for coordination of views and approach where there is a shared concern of serious detriment to cross-border insurance and reinsurance in other markets. Opportunities for the associations to work together in research projects and to build on their relationship through executive visits to each other’s countries also feature in the MoU.
Pina Albo, chair of ABIR and ceo of Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd., said: “ABIR and our member companies welcome the signing of this MoU, which sets out ways in which our markets can be stronger by working together.
We recognise that the synergy between the Bermuda and UK re/insurance industries is pivotal to the effective functioning of global insurance markets. Collaboration will help us address the most significant challenges our industry faces, as we strive to meet the world’s evolving risk-management needs.”
ABI Director General Hannah Gurga said: "Our long-standing relationship with the ABIR is something the ABI deeply values, and I’m delighted to be cementing this with our memorandum of understanding. Re/insurers operating in the UK and Bermuda face many of the same opportunities and challenges; and this agreement will help us to further strengthen our cooperation on issues such as climate, cyber and DEI. I look forward to continuing to work together with Pina and John to deliver even more value to our respective members"
Hannah Gurga was in Bermuda this week, as a guest at the ABIR@30 Lunch Forum, where she spoke on the Bermuda-UK industry partnership.
The theme of the event, to mark ABIR’s 30th anniversary, is “Celebrating Three Decades of Leadership and Partnership”. .
ABI Trends(1,127 articles)
ABIR Trends(9 articles)