Of Special Interest
- Financial wellness affects half of peoples’ mental or physical health, finds report
- Study finds traditional financial institutions embrace Fintech disruption
- Grass is greener for environmentally friendly businesses, finds Barclays
- Prospective homeowners would consider a 40-year mortgage to escape renting, finds Santander
- Millennials’ needs are changing the face of banking industry, says new report
- FS is putting consumer data at risk by failing to protect mobile apps, says Arxan
- A lack of belief in their ability holds 28% women back in work, says Cambridge & Counties
- ‘Which?’ reveals Scotland has lost over a third of its bank branches in eight years
- Next downturn unlikely to be as bad as 2008, according to S&P
- FCA reveals findings from first cryptoassets consumer research
- US consumers favour single mobile app for banking and payments
- Banks suffering major IT shutdowns every day, ‘Which?’ reveals
- The US will be a key offshore centre in 2019, says GlobalData
- Debit industry changes markedly in 10 years of the Debit Issuer Study
- UK's ‘Big Five’ face ‘too big to compete’ as small challengers secure stellar returns
- Banks as vulnerable now as before crash, says new study
- Leverage ratio a constant conundrum for European and US banks, says SNL
9th December 2011
Western Union starts UK prepaid services
Western Union launched the Western Union® MasterCard® Gift Card and the Western Union® GoCash Service in the UK. Both are prepaid card services that until now have only been available in the US. The company plans launches of the products in other countries worldwide 'in the coming months'. One difference is that the UK version will be 'chip & pin' whilst the US is not.
WHSmith, the newsagent, stationer and card shop with over 500 outlets in the UK is to stock both products. The two organisations see a link between the sale of the greetings cards and the inclusion of a pre-paid gift card.
"Western Union is a world leader in prepaid financial services, providing people with innovative, easy-to-use products and services," said Western Union Senior Vice President for Europe & CIS Jan Hillered. "We are committed to responding to the market's needs and that means providing prepaid products all over the world to help people take part in a global marketplace increasingly moving toward card and account-based transactions."